Bellevue Parenting Plan Modification Lawyer

Experienced Parenting Plan Modification Lawyers in Bellevue, WA

bellevue parenting plan modification attorneyHow Do I Get a Parenting Plan Modification in Washington State?

Obtaining a parenting plan modification in Washington State is required if a parent wants to change the current parenting plan order. There are two types of modifications that can be sought, a minor or major modification.  Which one to seek depends on the legal reasons for seeking a modification and the extent of the change requested. A Bellevue Parenting Plan Modification Lawyer can help with these changes.

Parenting Plan Modifications – Minor vs. Major Modifications

A minor adjustment to a parenting plan is known as a minor modification.  Absent agreement, to get a minor modification in Washington requires showing a substantial change in circumstances of either parent or of the child. In King County child custody modification cases, a parent must prove the substantial change to show “adequate cause” for the modification in a preliminary “adequate cause” hearing unless the other parent agrees.

Major modifications to a parenting plan are requests for significant changes to the parenting plan including requests to change the custodial (primary) parent. Custodial changes are viewed as highly disruptive to children, and the court allows major modification only in limited circumstances.  A parent must prove an unforeseen substantial change has occurred in the circumstances of the child or the other parent, and the change to the parenting plan is necessary to serve the child’s best interests.

Parenting Plan Modification Examples:

  • You move locally (for example, a move from Bellevue to Tacoma).
  • Your work schedule requires more travel time.
  • You are the custodial (primary) parent and the non-custodial parent has not exercised his residential time for one year or longer.

Some examples of circumstances to request a major modification include:

  • You suspect the other parent of abuse or willful neglect.
  • You seek to relocate to another state or country.
  • The other parent has been held in contempt twice within the past three years for violating the residential schedule of a parenting plan.

Contested Child Custody Modifications

Contested high conflict child custody modifications can become difficult, emotionally volatile, and mired in allegations of abuse, parenting alienation, domestic violence, and alcohol or drug abuse.   They are challenging legal cases that require experienced legal counsel.

We will review the facts of your case and advise if resolution can be reached through less adversarial options. If not, we will aggressively and effectively represent your interests knowing your child’s best interests are at stake.

Contact A Bellevue Parenting Plan Modification Lawyer Today

Call Weintraub Law Office at +1 425 374 4045 or contact us online to request an appointment if you need legal help with a parenting plan modification.

Weintraub Law Office has offices in Seattle, Bellevue, and Bothell and represents clients in King, Snohomish, and Pierce County.